Monday, February 23, 2009

Out with the Old.


Oprah was on the tv in front of the eliptical machine I was on last Thursday. The segment was "Clean Up Your Messy House Tour" with Peter Walsh, said to be an organizational expert. Not too sure how one becomes an expert at organization, but he is one nonetheless! This part of the segment caught my attention; I thought it was a fantastic idea and wanted to share it...

Peter was in Patty's home and showing off her newly organized and clean closet. I thought something was odd when the camera was panning over her newly hung clothes - the hangers were hung in the reverse direction as normal. Before I thought further, Peter said to Patty and the camera, "You wear 20 percent of your clothes 80 percent of the time. For the next six months, whenever you wear an article of clothing and hang it back in the closet, I want you to hang it the correct way. If you have stuff after six months that's still hanging from the back to the front, you have to ask yourself, 'Am I ever going to wear it again?' Hanging your clothes this way helps you identity pieces to clear out."

I am SO going to do this! It's almost time to rummage through the winter clothes that have hung in my closet for the past few months. While I'm switching things out and bringing in the summer stuff, I'll make sure to reverse every hanger in my closet. I'll keep an eye out over the summer and by next fall will be able to tell what items of clothing I have never worn. I know there will be quite a few that I can give to Goodwill. It really is a great way to donate the clothes that I never wear while also at the same time cleaning up and making space for new items that I hope to purchase.


Patty's Closet - Here it is. It's hard to see, but the clothes hung on the far right are reversed.

Now, time to get motivated for some organizing!

I hope everyone had a fabulous weekend!!

XOXO,

10 comments:

  1. Wow...why haven't I ever thought of that?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    And that is a great idea... I should do it too because I have waaay too many clothes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing! I need to do a major closet clean-out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an awesome idea! Thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is brilliant! Thanks for sharing, I need to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is SUCH a stinking awesome idea. I love it - and thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's such a great idea, i'll definitely have to try it!
    p.s. make sure you enter my giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I NEED to find time to do this...things at my house are getting out of control. Hopefully, this will motivate me to get going with my horrible closet!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, thanks for stopping by and leaving such a sweet comment! I hope my kids agree with you.

    I already do this and it works like a charm!!

    ReplyDelete