Thursday, October 8, 2009

Make yourself at home.

If you were to stop by our house, you would be greeted with this…

outdoor1 outdoor3

We would watch You’ve Got Mail and simultaneously look at this…

mantel2

See those two, twig pumpkins on the bottom left?  Target – this season!  Loveee ‘em.

We would stuff our faces with this…

Apple Crumble Cake

apple_crumble_cake2

compliments of justhungry.

Ingredients:

  • 4 to 5 medium or small apples - about 4 cups worth of cut up apple, but you can do it with a bit more or less
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 1 'large' egg, beaten
  • 1/3 cup melted butter, or a combination of melted butter and neutral-tasting oil such as safflour or canola

For the crumble mixture:

  • 3/4 cup of raw cane sugar, muscovado sugar, or regular light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 Tbs. butter
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon (optional)

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 180° C / 350° F.

Grease a standard square cake pan (20cm x 20cm x 5cm, or 8" x 8" x 2") with butter.

Sift the flour and baking powder together, and mix in the granulated sugar. Add the milk, beaten egg and melted butter or butter/oil combo; mix together just until there are no huge lumps. Pour into the pan.

Make the crumble mixture: melt the butter in a pan, add the flour, sugar and cinnamon, and mix well until it become crumble.

Peel, core and cut up the apples, and put on to of the cake batter. Sprinkle the top with the crumble mixture.

Bake for about 40 minutes. Cut into squares. Serve warm plain or with whipped cream. You can nuke this to warm it up quite successfully. Also nice at room temperature, such as in a lunch box.

And I would be wearing this…

(Just ordered it!  Don’t you just love it?!  From Anthropologie.)

wrap

So if you’re in the neighborhood, let me know!  :o)

Happy Thursday, loves!  Have an AMAZING weekend!!

Blessings/XOXO

PS. Thank you SO much for all of your sweeeet comments below!  It makes it that much more fun to share pictures, tell stories and talk about the random happenings of sweet hubby’s and my life.  Thanks for the encouragement!

28 comments:

  1. I wanna come to your house girl! Too pretty! Hope your having a great day! = )

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful Lady!
    I have lil' hay bales too :)
    But your pumkins from Target are waaaaaaaaay cuter!!!
    Very nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww I wanna come over, your home is so inviting and pretty!!=)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty!!!! Going to Target soon to check out the good stuff. Absolutely love the wreath!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the decor & love that blue front door! It adds so much--maybe I should convince Hubby to paint ours! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where do you live again? I'm comin' over! :-) I love your decorations and am seriously jealous of your blue door!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE IT!!! Want to go to your house for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all your pictures, I tagged you for an award on my blog. =) Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous. I'm a sucker for fall decor of ANY type, but especially pumpkins. And *swoon* over that Anthropologie sweater. I have purposely not gone on their site or in their stores for a few months, but I simply cannot resist their fall and winter sweaters.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok, I feel silly now. Oh well, I love your GREEN door! :-) And I'm in Louisiana so I guess I'll have to hold off a while on the visit. Darn!

    ReplyDelete
  11. looooove your hay bales and your mums! your doorstep is just too stinking cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your fall decor! I've always wished that I could get into fall like that, but I just am not a fan of the season. Maybe if I decorated I would become more fanatic about it :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. If only TX and PA bordered eachother, I would SO be on my way. You've Got Mail, is one of my absolute fav movies, and I must watch it now just thinking about it! I love your beautiful home and all of your Fall fun. We have the exact same welcome mat... Not that I am surprised! :) I just added the ingredients that I don't have to my grocery list for this delish apple creation you have posted. Yummmmmm. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your decor! Thanks for the recipe-it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a great blog. love the anthro sweater by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Invite me over! How cozy everything looks! I love those Target pumpkins - I have the smaller one in my house!

    --DC Prep

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE the twig pumpkins! And all the other decorations! Cute sweater also!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cuter than cute... your house is ahhhhdorable!

    ReplyDelete
  19. ok...I'm making the 5 hour drive to your house!!! That dessert looks SO good!

    That sweater------to die for. Oh my.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Holy cow...your front porch looks awesome! Where do you get hay stacks?? I have been wanting some!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i love it! i'm comin' over!! =) i loved this post, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Em. GEESH!! Where do you live, again? I would absolutely LOVE every single minute of that!! INcluding "You've Got Mail". Classic! I know you said you're close to Baltimore... how close are we talking? Cause I'm about 25-30 minutes from Baltimore, toward DC. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love it!! So cozy for fall :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my gosh! LOVIN your decorations!! Wanna come over and help me decorate mine!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Aw, love your house, love your taste - that sweater is SO CUTE! I wish I had a house (apt, blah) to decorate for the season. So much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Perfect! I'm totally stopping by Target to find those pumpkins. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. So pretty! Wish we were real life friends so I could come over and watch You've Got Mail. LOVE that movie!

    ReplyDelete