Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Delicious.

Last night was rainy and chilly. 

It was also heavenly. 

Thanks to a lovely little purchase I made earlier in the day. 

MB_Crazy_Love_CD

Michael’s voice and I had a blissful evening together full of fine cooking and delectable wine.  (Love his new CD!)

Hubby absolutely LOVES French onion soup.  It’s also my dad’s favorite soup, so I have known for quite some time that some day, some how, I needed to come up with a homemade version – a daunting task, I was sure.  Ohhhhh, Paula Deen, how I love you!  Ladies, you must try this recipe!  It was a little time consuming but SO easy.  And I am not going to lie, I thought I was the best chef in the world after sampling my concoction before serving.  It was the perfect meal for a rainy and chilly night.  Please note that the recipe calls for dry white wine in the soup. I highly recommend additionally adding some tasty red wine in your mouth, while cooking.  Oh, and plenty of pumpkin spice candles burning.  It’s all about the ambiance to get your creative cooking juices flowing!

Paula Deen’s French Onion Soup

Courtesy of the Food Network

Ingredients

  • 4 onions, sliced (our onions were HUGE, so I only used 3 for both of us!)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 8 cups beef stock
  • 1/4 cup dry white wine
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 loaf French bread
  • 2 cups grated Gruyere (it’s not hard to find, most cheese sections carry it)

Directions

Saute onions and garlic in oil over low heat until tender and golden yellow. Sprinkle flour over onions, cook a few minutes more, browning the flour well. Add stock and wine and bring to a boil, add thyme and bay leaf. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer gently for 20 minutes or so. Add salt and pepper, to taste.

Meanwhile, slice French bread into 3/4-inch slices and butter both sides. Toast slices on griddle until golden brown. Ladle soup into an ovenproof bowl, add toasted bread and cover with cheese. Place ovenproof bowl on a baking sheet lined with tin foil. Bake at 350 degrees F or 5 minutes under a hot broiler.

DSC04298

Delicious.

Happy Tuesday!

Blessings/XOXO

20 comments:

  1. Yum!! Looks like a delicious and romantic dinner!! I love Paula Deen's recipes, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love me some Micheal!!! He is great! And your french onion soup looks the same...nice and hearty for an evening with snow in the forcast here!!! BOO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Buble and LOVE Paula! :)

    --DC Prep

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fantastic. You sound like you really enjoy cooking for your husband. I also recommend some wine in the mouth while cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! French Onion soup is one of my faves. it looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM! I'm so with you girl- its all about the ambiance when you're cooking! Sounds like a delicious meal for you and your hubby- what a sweet little evening! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That does look delicious!! I'll have to come back to this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man that looks gooood. My two questions: Is it on the salty side? (I've had some french onion soup that was good, but a tad too salty...) And is it easy enough for someone like me who doesn't really know the first thing about cooking ANYTHING? Haha...I'm a newlywed, and I'm pathetic. Gotta start learning sometime, though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds D-LISH! I just saved it to one of my recipe cards.
    I am on amazon now ordering MB's new CD. Oh how I love him. 2 peas in a pod I tell you. Wish you were closer!!!! And, goodness, I can't EVEN wait for a glass of red wine.... Mmmmm. XOXOXOXOXOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  10. You make the soup and I'll bring the pie. I love french onion soup...it is my favorite at Panera bread. YUM I heard that cd was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds yummy!!! Thank goodness for PD! hahaha

    Hope your having a great day! = )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks delicious!! Any kind of soup is so perfect for this time of year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum. This sounds a lot like the one my daddy makes that is AMAZING! Homemade French Onion is just so much better - you can always tell! Looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I ate my weight in French Onion soup while I was pregnant with Carson... it's my fave. All of this rain here in Houston, it sounds like the perfect menu item!! Yum, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. YUMMY! I am definitely going to try this recipe!! I love french onion soup! Oh and I was thinking about buying a Michael Buble cd too! Love his voice its so soothing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love Michael Buble and Paula Deen! I don't think the lady ever cooks a bad thing : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can't wait to try this! Thanks for sharing. I'm dying to get the MB cd!! I heart his voice!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay, eeerrie!
    This is the 3rd time in one day I have heard of this Michael guy...on others blog and then he was on a talk show singing and my hubby even pointed him out!
    His comment: "Hey! That's the guy of one of the Ladies you blog with-she's talking about!"

    Yip. He's got a real nice soothing voice.
    Your dinner looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much for reminding me that this CD was released! I love Michael Buble!! I have all of his other CD's but totally forgot that this one came out. I'm going to get it tomorrow.

    Hope you are having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like a perfect evening! And I love Michael Buble. I'll have to check out the new CD!

    ReplyDelete