Thursday, April 2, 2009

Magazine Fiasco

Yayyyy, tomorrow is Friday!! I am pumped and ready for the weekend! Do you have any fun plans? We have a housewarming party and a cook-out to attend, but other than that we plan on relaxing! I'm really looking forward to it.

I mentioned a few times in my previous posts about a "magazine fiasco" that I wanted to share with you. Here's the story!

I traveled A LOT with my previous job, all around the country. It was such an awesome experience and I am so grateful for it! When we decided it was time to move closer to my husband's territory for work, I wasn't that sad about leaving my job. I was ready to be home more and ready for the next big adventure. I gained a TON of airline miles the year of 2007-2008. I was traveling from the East Coast to Arizona, California and Vegas on a semi-regular basis which allowed me to strike up a bundle-load of miles. After I left my job and we moved, I completely forgot about my miles. Two weeks ago when we were visiting my parent's house my dad gave me a stack of mail that had been sent to me at their house (I feel like my parent's will still be getting my mail even when I'm fifty, poor things). I had about five letters all geared towards redeeming my airline miles before they expired. Unfortunately, by the time I read the letters, I had TWO days left. None of the rewards really seemed too exciting at that point, I think we missed the boat on the big ones. One of the letters was about turning in my points for magazine subscriptions, some of them were up to four year subscriptions! My husband got really excited about this, and I did too, at first.

I really try my hardest to keep our new house uncluttered. I love the feeling of having "less" and having a place for everything. I know this will all change once we have kids, of course hoping God blesses us with children, but for now, "clutter-free" is my motto. All I could think about was a house FILLED with magazines, EVERY WHERE. If you even have, for example, six magazine subscriptions per year, that is six magazines per month, times tweleve...and, well, all I can picture is a house filled to the brim with magazines.

We were sitting on the couch considering our options and he said, "I think it would be fun!" And he's right. They had some great magazines options, and for a few years we will have ample reading material for ourselves and our house guests. Yet, I still laugh nervously at the thought of what is to come. I do have a plan though, to get a decorative (large) basket to leave in the living room, and that will forever now be our designated magazine holder.

Ladies, behold what will be coming to our house on a monthly basis from now on.












ELEVEN magazine subscriptions!! I can't help but laugh! Luckily, there are some really good ones. We picked them out together making sure we were pretty even with our choices and the ones we knew we would both read. I was a little surprised they didn't have an ESPN option for the hubs, but luckily they had golf. I'm really excited about Bon Appetit and Martha Stewart Living; I'll let you know if I get some great recipes! Looks like we have some major reading cut out for us!! Too funny.
Happy Thursday! Enjoy your weekends!!

22 comments:

  1. Oh My....I can't even keep up with the 1 subscription to AdAge I get at work. Not to mention the dozen or so email subscriptions I have! Best luck Annabelle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love getting magazines - especially free ones!

    And my poor parents are just like yours. They will forever get my mail!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun, I love getting magazines in the mail, makes my day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I am completely the same way with the magazines. When we were first married....we had so many and they kept piling up and we never read them. Now that I am in charge of the mail :) he he...I let them expire and my husband never even knows!! I think we still have about 4...that we still don't read. Just not the time for us..

    Hope it works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting! Magazine make me smile. I agree with the hubs...ESPN is one of my favorites. That's a shame they didn't offer it. I like People too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my word - I can't even imagine. I already get more than enough of my fair share, and I never even singed up for ONE of them! They are all somehow being sent to me, and I don't pay a dime. Not that I'm complaining... but what am I to do with them all??

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun. I love magazines. They are so fun to flip though...I love all the ideas you can get from them too Martha Stewart Living is a great one. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The same thing happened to us, and we have magazines pouring in! I had to buy a magazine rac, and I'm still deciding what to do with the older ones I know we probably won't look at again. We just love mags so much, so it's oddly hard to part with them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun! I would love eleven magazine subscriptions! I only have one and I always wish I had more! I would love to get a subscription to a cooking magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love getting magazines in the mail! you picked out some good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got a free subscription with air miles too! But I kept it to one b/c we already get a couple others. Somehow I'm getting Working Mother and I have NO idea why. I am working but I'm definitely not a mother yet. I wonder if someone's trying to give me the hint that it's time to start thinking about babies? Have fun with all your mags!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your post totally cracked me up!! We get a ton of magazines here too and sometimes I do feel like they are taking over my house!! :) It still feels so good to see them in the mailbox!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL. Let me guess, Americ*n Airl*nes? I got the same letter and ended up with a couple magazine subscriptions.

    I don't like clutter either. I try to read the magazines the month they come in but if I'm busy it doesn't always happen. If I see something cute... house design, clothes, I rip it out and keep it in an inspiration binder my mom made me. If it's a recipe I do the same thing and keep them in a recipe book. Next, I toss the magazine. I just can't stand to see stacks of magazines. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooo soo lucky! I love magazines!! I want to keep our new house uncluttered too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. that is so funny! we are the same way about keeping a decluttered house (partly because both of our parents are huge packrats, hubby said i guess we can thank them, ha!). it is fun to get magazines though too, i just got a couple subscriptions this year =) can't wait to hear how all of them are!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do the large basket thing...great idea! Then, every 3 months..yours will come sooner...I recycle the old-er ones, or take then to the clinic where I work! I love magazines! I look forward to them!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just found your blog and wanted to let you all know about the one I recently started. Head on over to check it out at www.sassypinkmonogram.blogspot.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love magazine! Looks like you have a LOT of choices now!
    P.S. I left you an award on my blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's a lot of magazines, enjoy them! You can keep some and pass the rest along to friends or family. I keep all my decorating magazines but I need to find better storage for them. They are stuffed in boxes in the basement.
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  20. Enjoy your new magazines, I just subscribed to a few myself...it's fun getting them in the mail :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm a magazine junkie. Husby hates it. Except we went to B&N last weekend and he picked up 3 for himself...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I will be staying tuned for that post. lol. I love me some ribs..lol

    ReplyDelete