Thursday, April 9, 2009

Le Menu & Easter Blessings!

Tomorrow is Good Friday, or as I like to call it, Great Friday. What AMAZING love that my King would die for me!!! I hope everyone has a phenomenal Great Friday and Easter Sunday. I know my heart will be rejoicing and celebrating! Although the Easter meal is insignificant compared to what we're really celebrating, it's still been heavily on my mind! I want it to be special, and a fun meal that my hubsy and I will enjoy. So, without further ado...

Le Menu

This is definitely not your typical Easter fare, but it is something that both my hubsy and I loveee to eat. I'm from Texas and still crave a good helping of BBQ. We have decided to forego the more traditional lamb and ham, and instead have....BBQ'd Ribs! It is making me hungry just thinking about. My real-life lovie, Michelle, from The Ardent Adventurer told me about a recipe that she tried at a crock-pot cook off (which, by the way, sounds like the BEST idea for a get-together - it's on my list for the summer). There were two key things about this recipe that made me realize I just had to try it ASAP - 1. The meat is fall-off-the-bone tender (and) 2. It is SUPER easy to make. Sign me up!

Coka-Cola Ribs: (not trying to endorse the brand or anything, just relaying the recipe as I heard it)

1. Break your slab of ribs into smaller sections that will fit in your crock-pot (I looked online and found several ways to also make this in the oven or on the grill, but I'll do it the crock-pot way so it can cook while we're at church.) The amount of ribs you get depends on the number you're cooking for and how many left-overs you want!
2. Pour 1 liter of Coke into your crock pot and cook the ribs for about five hours.
3. Drain the Coke from the pot
4. Add any type of BBQ sauce you want to the ribs in the crock-pot (I'm going to use Sweet Baby Ray's and add a few of my own ingredients - I'll let you know what I use) and let it continue cooking/simmering for another 2 hours.
5. Voila! Fall-off-the-bone, tender ribs! Mmmmmm. Apparently you don't taste the Coke, it's just the secret to such tender meat. I don't think it can get any easier than that! And the fact that I can put it in before we leave for church makes me love it even more.

Accompanying our meal will be the following: (pics found on google images, except for the first one which probably looks familiar :o)

Insalata Caprese - (of course).

Twice Baked Potatoes: (if you're wondering what these are, there are SO many variations, but a good recipe can be found here - the pic posted at that site shows a TON of toppings that I will probably skip on and just mix in with the potatoes beforehand.)

Corn on the Cob

Instead of the Twice Baked Potatoes, I may make this Ranch Chicken Macaroni Salad that looks super yummy - and substitute with whole grain macaroni. Which would you choose? The recipe can be found here. Heck, they both look good - maybe we'll splurge and have both!

For dessert, I'm going to attempt a home-made carrot cake. I've never done a carrot cake before, so I'm crossing my fingers! The recipe can be found here.

Now I'm so hungry! What are you having? I love any excuse to make a fun meal! I truly hope each one of you has a blessed weekend no matter where you are or what you do!

and


XOXO,

18 comments:

  1. That menu looks devine!! I think I would chose the potatoes because I'm a potatoes girl, but I do love my ranch! Tough choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I am going to my parents so they are handling lunch but I AM making a lemon chess pie for dessert. YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sue me, but I don't have the SLIGHTEST idea what twice baked potatos are. Can you help a sister out? Cause I'm a HUUUUGE-mongous potato fan!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have the recipe for the twice baked potatoes? I would love to try them, they look soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The meal looks sooo yummy!!! :) I'm hungry now! Have a wonderful and blessed Easter weekend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. your menu looks amazing!! i would definitely do the twice baked potatoes, that just sounds so yummy=) you'll have to post how all the recipes went! have a great Easter weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'M HAVING A GOOD FRIDAY GIVEAWAY! COME OVER AND PLAY :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so coming over your way for dinner:) YUM! Twice baked potato and carrot cake. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY! So awesome! So happy to see you're trying the Coke Ribs! Please let me know how they turn out! I'm having a Pot Luck Easter Brunch at my house in Chicago! I'll have to post about it on Sunday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have just got to make that Insalata Caprese! It is one of my favorite dishes! Have a wonderful Easter! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. yum yum! I'm inspired to cook now! Have a blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah...your so sweet.Your dinner looks amazing and have a great weekend and dinner!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! Everything sounds delicious! Have a great Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Easter to you and I love the table cloth! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. The pie turned out great, my hubby was such a fan that he ate 3 pieces! Here is the recipe if you want to try it, it's so easy:
    http://www.southernplate.com/2008/09/lemon-chess-pie.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your menu is genius, and I think it may be my inspiration! Grocery store, here I come! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fab menu! You're putting the Mr. and I to shame; we just threw some stuff in the crock pot this morning :-) Hope you're having a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete