Tuesday, April 14, 2009

'Lil Easter Recap

I hope everyone had a fantastic Easter weekend! We had such a great time and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Friday night we went to dinner with some friends and then to the Good Friday service at our church. Afterwards we went home and watched Bolt, the animated Pixar movie. My husband may kill me for saying this, but he has been wanting to see it and picked it out! It was the cutest movie and I loved that it was his choice for our date night. On Saturday we did a MAJOR Spring cleaning of the house, and it feels so good to have that behind us! After we were finished, we went to a BBQ joint and had the best food, including fried alligator tail as an appetizer. I wish I had taken a picture of it for you to see. It was SO good! The seasonings they put on it, and the sauce it was served with, made it so tastey. I would highly recommend trying it if you ever get the chance. Church on Sunday was amazing and the rest of the day was just as great.

We had some surprise Easter guests! My sister, her boyfriend and our niece came over and had lunch with us. We dyed Easter eggs and hid jelly beans around the house for her to find. It was so much fun watching the joy of Easter through the eyes of a child. Every thing turned out yummy and to perfection! Please make the cola ribs if you ever get a chance. Everyone loved them! The only thing that didn't turn out as exactly as I had planned was my carrot cake. I put a picture below; it looked terrible! Luckily, it tasted good. I thought I let it cool long enough, but apparently I didn't. The icing kept picking up the cake and made it impossible to look pretty. It was pretty humorous. I have a few pictures of the food below and also included a little step-by-step guide on how I made the twice-baked potatoes. A few of you hadn't heard of them before so I thought it might be helpful. They sure are DELCIOUS! I hope you have a chance to make them soon.

My sister and niece coloring Easter eggs

My carrot cake full of holes - I put chopped walnuts on the top to cover them as much as possible.
The ribs and corn on the cob. The ribs were sooo yummy! I used Sweet Baby Ray's Award Winning Original BBQ sauce and really didn't add anything else! I did mix in a little honey BBQ that I had on hand.
My sister brought over a yummy salad, so we nixed the insalata caprese. Here are the finished twice-baked potatoes. Sometimes I add bacon but since we had bacon in the salad I left it out. So yummy!
Twice-Baked Potatoes: Bake your potatoes in the oven for an hour. Allow them to cool and then cut them in half lengthwise. Scoop out the insides, leaving a little layer of potatoes so the skins aren't too thin.
Prepare the insides like you would mashed potatoes. I added sour cream, butter, a little bit of milk, salt, pepper and green onions.

Scoop the mixed potatoes back inside the skins, cover with a layer of cheese and scallions and then bake them for another 15 minutes. Please ignore my sloppy job.That's it! It really is so simple. The whole meal was so easy to prepare and was really stress-free. It definitely helps that it was also yummy! I hope your Easters were full of wonderful memories with your loved ones. Enjoy the start to this new week!

Happy Tuesday!
XOXO,

15 comments:

  1. Wow - that looks amazing! I think I'm going to try the twice backed potatoes tonight for dinner. Wish me luck!!!

    And with mcStudly's grandparents comign over next week, maybe I can try the ribs! I definitely need recomendatiosn for a good barbecue sauce, though. Help!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your meal looks delicious! I bet the ribs were great...Sweet Baby Ray's is the only kind of barbecue sauce my husband will let me buy :-) And I think I might have to try those twice baked potatoes sometime...the picture is making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been wanting to see Bolt too! Glad it hear it was cute. And that ALWAYS happens to my cakes b/c I'm not patient enough to let them cool. Glad you had such a great Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had a great Easter weekend!!! The food looks sooooo yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband is obsessed with Sweet Baby Rays! It's the only BBQ sauce he will eat! :)

    Your meal looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That food looks awesome. How nice to spend the holiday with family. What a fun time. I want some of that carrot cake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The meal looks amazing! :) So glad you had a wonderful Easter weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yum! Those potatoes look divine!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like such a great weekend! And all of the food looked amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have been thinking of seeing Bolt. I am glad to hear you liked it! Good for you for trying the alligator. Those guys deserve to be eaten, they are really mean! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUM! I am definitely going to try the potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh! It all looks so good! Um....Alligator tail..okay...I'll take your word for it sweetie!!Lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks like you had a wonderful time! That meal is to die for! I love your method of twice baked potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yum! Everything looks fabulous (even the carrot cake). Sounds like you had a great Easter weekend.

    ReplyDelete