Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Dips and drinks for Superbowl!

First off, I have to mention that I went back to my old design - a few friends of mine said they liked it better. :o)

Super Bowl Sunday is this weekend! All this talk of hosting for the big event, but now we're going out of town to Baltimore! Ha. So one of our neighbors is hosting instead. I feel badly, but hey, things happen. I will still make these yummy things and bring them over, because any excuse to make and eat food I jump all over. I loveee dips. I think a "dip party" is one of the best ideas ever. Mmmm, yummy. Here's one to start off with!


I absolutely LOVE guacamole. I have tried several recipes and honestly, this one doesn't seem like anything super fancy, but I have found this recipe to be the best and people love it! I don't take ANY credit for it; it was given to me by a friend. If you can't read the ingredients above, they are:

7 avocados (soft), 1 small red onion (chopped), 1 small tomato (chopped), 1 fresh lime, fresh cilantro - I use a lot, but we love cilantro! Start small and then add more. 1 tsp ground cumin, garlic powder (to taste - or fresh garlic), salt (to taste)

Remove the avocado pits and mash (I use a potato masher) the avocado in a bowl. Add all of the ingredients above leaving the salt, garlic powder and paprika at the end - it depends on how much you like each flavor, but I like to have a LOT! I usually start with half of the lime (microwave it for a few seconds and it's easier to squeeze) and then add more after I taste it. I almost always end up using the whole lime. Play around with it! I hope this is a good base. If you live near Philly feel free to invite me over to sample it. Mmmm.

Okay, I've been on a hunt for fun drinks to have that are Superbowl themed and here's what I'm going with. I found these at the about website, great site. For the Pittsburgh Steelers' theme (my hubby has been a Steelers fan his whole life, so you can see how big of a deal this year is!) it's called a Black & Gold. It features Blavod vodka, which is appropriately black in color, and goldschlager, which tastes like cinnamon and has gold flakes floating around in it. So pretty!

Black Martini with Gold Flake

Black & Gold
2 oz Blavod vodka
1 oz Goldschlager


Pour the Blavod into a glass/cocktail shaker filled with ice and shake it really well. Strain it into a cocktail glass and top it with the Goldschlager. Voila!

Next up is the Cardinal's theme drink - it's called the Cardinal Cocktail. Mmmm, this one looks delish and you make it with red wine. Sign me up! You add some creme de cassis to the wine which is a sweet liqueur made from French blackcurrants.


Cardinal Cocktail - Superbowl XLIII Cocktail Recipe - Arizona Cardinals

Cardinal Cocktail
1 oz creme de cassis
red wine


Pour the creme de cassis in a wine glass filled with ice and then fill the rest of the glass with wine. So easy! And pretty.

Next, more dips!

XOXO,


9 comments:

  1. That second one looks soooo good! Wish I had one now but that probably wouldn't be a good idea considering I'm at work! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh love the name of your blog too! I am going to follow you. Good stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I've followed you! Hope you check back with mine often too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUMMO!!! These sound sooo delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pink Preppy Party GirlJanuary 29, 2009 at 1:31 PM

    These recipes sounds delicious! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay Guac! my fave! You should totally do the "Annabelle Salsa" I LOOOOVE IT! I will have to make some for the SB!

    ReplyDelete
  7. From one "Pink Chick" to another, this blog is absolutely ADORABLE!! I'm sooo happy I found it and have enjoyed your posts; can't wait to follow. I'm going to make that rockin gauc for my Super Bowl Party this Sunday....I'm eyeing those cocktails too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, so I'm now equally obsessed with yours! Have fun this weekend.

    kHm

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a serious addiction to guacamole....I'm saving that recipe now!

    ReplyDelete