Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Homemade & Festive

Happy Tuesday! I can’t believe we are almost in August. Where has this summer gone?! While some may be saddened that their sun kissed days are nearing an end, I rejoice in the seasons that are upon us. This time of year starts the beginning of several celebrations over the next few months: both of my nieces’ birthdays, my husband’s birthday, our wedding anniversary (yay!), my mom’s birthday, my mom and dad’s wedding anniversary – and the HOLIDAYS! I am in the process of starting to plan quite a few little shindigs and I am having so much fun researching and compiling ideas for the occasions. I’ll post about the fun things that trigger my creative juices; it’s so much fun always hearing everyone else’s. A fellow blogger who has some great ideas is Meredith and she recently asked if anyone knew where to buy decorative pom poms. Now a days, pom poms are a must-have at every shower and party I have attended. They were even a huge hit at my own bridal shower! My sisters made them without a kit and I think they turned out just as fabulous as Martha’s creations. Below are the steps to make your own using your own materials. The directions and photos are taken directly from the domestic diva’s website herself, found on this page. I take no credit! Check out the site for a version on how to make matching napkin rings. So cute!

pom pom

Materials

tissue paper

24-guage white cloth-covered floral wire

Directions

1.Stack eight 20 by 30 inch sheets of tissue. Make 1 1/2 inch wide accordion folds, creasing with each fold.

2. Fold an 18 inch piece of floral wire in half, and slip over center of folded tissue; twist. With scissors, trim ends of tissue into rounded or pointy shapes.

3. Separate layers, pulling away from the center one at a time.

4. Tie a length of monofilament (fishing line) to floral wire for hanging.

pom11pom22pom33pom44

Voila! Enjoy! I’ll have to do a post soon on my bridal shower. It was gorgeous and all done by my talented mom and sisters. So impressive! September is our wedding month so I will hold out until then. Can’t wait to share everything!

Some of you may remember the post I did back in March when my family celebrated my dad’s 60th birthday. It was such a special time. This December is my mom’s turn!! I am so excited for us to plan her celebration. I’ll be sure to keep you posted as the planning evolves and any tips or tricks I learn along the way.

I hope you enjoy your day! Thank you for your sweet comments below on my precious little nieces and nephew. They are my world!

XOXO/Blessings

13 comments:

  1. The pom poms look so easy to make and of course super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pom poms!! Some websites sell for a pretty penny! Thanks for the tips and sounds like you have a lot of fun stuff coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea, these look so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just like you, I LOVE the fall and all the family time and holidays that are coming up. Can't wait!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. those are soo cute! I want to host a tea-party just so I can make them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so easy and yet the finished product looks so fabulous! I will totally have to try that. I think I might even be able to do it. Thanks for the great instructions

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love making these things!!! I watched someone do it when I was a kid and it stuck. :) They actually put them on sticks and gave them to us at some carnival if I remember right. Thanks for sharing.

    Fabulous blog too!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for posting how to do this!! What a neat little treat to make for a party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I posted to you today: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_zxD_fl1uzgU/SmWjRnILZtI/AAAAAAAACmI/ChgtdBTIIZs/s320/Bird+Nest+3.jpg
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loooooove tissue flowers! Xoxo-BLC

    ReplyDelete