Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Health Nut

granola1 Are you a health nut?  I’m trying to be!  I truly am dedicated to feeding my sweet husband and myself the healthy goods.  There is just something about KNOWING you are giving your body the fuel that it needs.  Oh yes, we splurge often on tasty treats (like this post when I made a pie AND a cake for the 4th), but I would like to think we keep it to a minimum.  My hubsy craves sweets but I have no problem turning down dessert.  I crave the chips and guacamole, macaroni and cheese, pasta with bolognese sauce, baked potatoes…yum…I need to stop typing these so my mouth can stop watering.  I am a total foodie and look forward to the nights we eat out at delicious restaurants.  BUT, on the nights that we are home, I am all about making sure we’re grilling the fresh meats and veggies.  Well, I’m trying.  I’ve shared quite a few recipes with you but hopefully you will start to see a trend of even healthier and more delicious recipes.  It’s my goal!  I am so excited to try and make my own baby food when we have little ones (of course if God blesses us with little ones!) and I think I should start with adult sized concoctions now.  I don’t mean just baking, grilling and sautéing, but whole wheat breads from scratch, granolas fresh from the oven, vegetables from my own garden out back (which we are currently in the process of setting up) and the list goes on.  Granted, once we actually do start to have babies, I know the task of creating baby food from scratch may be quite daunting.  But, it is a desire dear to me heart, nonetheless.

Maine I am leaving this Sunday for beautiful Maine, leaving my husband all alone for the week, poor thing.  I have grown up going to Maine every summer and several winters.  There are certain foods that make me extremely nostalgic for my second home there: blueberries, lobster, popovers, and of course granola.  Granola and Maine go together so perfectly.  My mom has the BEST granola recipe given to her by my grandfather that I will have to share some time.  My husband is now just as in love with granola as I am; it’s such a perfect snack and easy meal for breakfast.  I’m going to make Alton Brown’s granola recipe for him to munch on while I’m gone.  If he can’t be feasting on lobster with me at least he can be feasting on granola.  This one has some coconut, which sounds yummy to me, but for those who dislike it – leave it out - I don’t think Alton will mind. 

Ingredients

3 cups rolled oats

1 cup slivered almonds

1 cup cashews

3/4 cup shredded sweet coconut

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons maple syrup

1/4 cup vegetable oil

3/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup raisins (or dried cranberries)

1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F

2. In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, coconut and brown sugar.

3. In a separate bowl, combine maple syrup, oil, and salt. Combine both mixtures and pour onto 2 sheet pans.  Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to achieve an even color.

4. Remove from oven and transfer into a large bowl.  Add raisins and mix until evenly distributed.  Voila!  Enjoy!

Happy munching!  What is your take on eating organic?  Do you eat EVERYTHING organic? Only splurge on organic fruits and meats?  Organic dairy products?  I’d love to hear! 

Happy Wednesday!

Blessings/XOXO

11 comments:

  1. I'm thinking I need to either come up there so I can try all these yummy foods you mention or yall just move back home. I wish I could cook :( I wanna take a cooking class. I am trying to be more healthy as well, hence the running kick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do limited organic foods. We try to stay away from red meats...but we could totally do better. My kids love fresh fruits and my mom gives us veggies from her garden. Somedays it is just hard to eat good all the time.
    That recipe sounds so good.
    Granola is one of my favorite foods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying to be more healthy. I buy organic milk, but that's about it, I'm afraid! I'm like your husby--I always crave sweets. I never really get cravings for "real" food, like burgers and fries and chips and pasta...but anything chocolate, and I eat the whole box for dinner!! lol. I'm been trying to be better, and eat healthy for health's sake rather than weight. I'm going to have to try some granola--seems like a good snack! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am trying to be healthy too! I am jealous that you are going to Maine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me, too. I try to be healthy...but you make it look so much more..healthier?????

    Your snack looks quite,

    yummy-yummy-to-my-tummy!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am trying to become a healthier eater too! It's tough!! I so wish I was going to Maine with you!! I have always wanted to visit some of the new england states! Yummy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to become a healthier eater too but I'm going on vacation this weekend so that's probably not going to happen! Have a great time in Maine!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love the new layout sista! It looks great and your new baby is adorable!! You are such a proud mommy hehe xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm that snack looks yummy! Have a great trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds yummy

    Come by for my GIVE-A-WAY this week by 10 pm Fri.
    and then check out our newest addition.

    Cheri
    www.itssoverycheri.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a wonderful granola recipe! Thanks for sharing it!

    Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete