Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Single Mommy Diaries!! & a decorating question

Ah, I am SO SO SOOOO excited about this! As I know you already know, my family means everything to me and is one of the biggest blessings in my life. I have two beautiful sisters who are my best friends and biggest supporters. I don't know what I do without them! I'm the youngest, and have definitely relied on their helpful advice and awesome tips since day one. My sister, J, on the right, is a single mommy. She should be wearing a cape in this picture because she is a SUPERHERO when it comes to mommy-hood. I am SO please and excited to share with you that she just started her own blog! I have been on her back for a little while now trying to steer her into blogging. She is one of the funniest people I know and is an excellent writer (quite unlike me, seriously, she is GOOD). Not to mention, full of love and creativity and is just ridiculously, flat-out, AMAZING. I don't think it's possible to talk about anyone in my family without gushing. I'll have to do a post on D, our phenomenal oldest sister. BUT for now, back to the point. When I first started blogging, it was your comments that really encouraged me and got me hooked to keep writing. Your comments always make my day! If you get a chance, will you please stop over and say hello to her? Better yet, follow her! I know you won't be disappointed. I am so proud of her (can a younger sister say that?) and love her so much and am so excited that you now have an opportunity to get to know her. SO, without further ado, I would like to introduce to you: The Single Mommy Diaries!


After you pop on over and say hello, please come back for my decorating question below!

So, here's the deal. Since the first day I spotted this rug in Pottery Barn, I have been absolutely in love. I love how crisp and fresh it makes the room look in this picture! It is so fun, unique and vibrant. We moved into our first home not too long ago and have been slowly trying to fill all of the rooms - it can take a while! We only recently purchased furniture for our living room and are waiting to paint, etc. after I make some color decisions. I will need to post more pictures of the inside of the house some day, but for now I'll describe the feeling when you walk in the door. It is VERY open, which is what I loved about our house since the first time I walked in it. When you first walk in the door you are standing in an open area that has the living room on the left. The stairway is in front of you and next to that, on your right, is a little area with a table and lamp, and an area leading you to the family room, laundry room, etc. The dining room is behind the living room and so far only has our table and a picture I've hung on the wall - this room will be decorated next. EVERYTHING on this side of the house is waiting to be filled and decorated. Here is my dilemma: I love, love, love this rug from Pottery Barn. After we bought our living room furniture (two couches, coffee table and side tables), I couldn't stop thinking about the rug. I thought I should see if it would look okay in a living room setting. I went everywhere trying to find it and found out it was SOLD OUT, even online. Yesterday I made a quick stop at PB and found out they had ONE left, ON SALE. It actually didn't look quite the same in person as I thought it would - the yellow was a little more muted. I decided I should still buy it and bring home; try it out. Like I said, we don't have ANY decorations in this room yet, so it's really hard for me to tell if with a little help, paint and the right accent pieces, this could all work together. My husband I both thought it looked almost 70's-ish/retro! That is SO not the look I'm going for! And I know it would look better with a white coffee table on it, and some day we may do that, but for now, this is what we have. Please help me! Keep it or ditch it? It's also important to note we plan on moving again at some point in the semi-near future, so please picture it in the bigger scheme of things, ie. a living room in a future house too - is there potential for these pieces to work together, not necesssarily does it look perfect in this exact room. Here's a quick snapshot I took as I was running out the door. That little lamp sitting there is one I dragged in from the office to at least get a feel, definitely not staying. It's so hard to picture the room all finished, but I don't want to buy anything until I settle on a rug and decide on a theme! I wonder if a big lamp with a crisp, white shade and a lot more white and yellow accent pieces will soften the look up. I would also add a splash of another color, flowers in a vase, etc. AH, I would love your help! Is it drab? TOO funky? Please let me know your thoughts! Thanks in advance!


Blessings!/XOXO







22 comments:

  1. I think that rug looks perfect in that room. It adds just the right about of spice and color to the room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the rug, it is cheery ; ) and going to your sisters site now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks great!! Just keep in mind that you may not love it 5 years from now since it's a bit trendy. Although, if you got a great deal on it, I'd say keep it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have so many questions running through my head---I know it is the same problem all the time--my brain should just slow down--my husband would be thrilled if it did that every once in awhile.

    When you move do you plan on keeping this furniture with this rug or different furniture--eventually as you fill rooms and move into that next house??

    What is the other color you are wanting to do with this? Do you even know that yet???

    I think it is a very cute rug and it doesn't have to have a 70's flair if you accent it correctly. This would always be a cute addition to a nursery some day if you did get tired of it in the living room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm definitely going to check out your Sisters blog! I love blogging.. so much fun!

    Oh and I love the rug!! I think it looks so fresh and classy! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that rug is super fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute! But it kinda makes me want to play Twister. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE the rug, it looks perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the rug is really cute! I think it looks great where you have it, but I also think it would look wonderful in a sun room wth white wicker furniture. But that's just me.

    Going to your sisters blog now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aaaah! I read this just now!!!! I love you soooo much and am super flattered that you are proud of me. I'm proud of you too AnnaBelle. Big ol' hugs and kisses all over the place for you. Can't wait to see you this weekend!

    PS. I like the rug. I still stand on what we talked about before though. Make sure that you can make it work with the decorations you choose to have going on in your dining room. Love that you're using pops of color! FABULOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Off to say hi to your sister. Beautiful picture of you three.
    I love the rug. I think it is just great! I am a sucker for polka dots.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That rug is so fun! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. KEEP!!! It's fun and different! I think it looks great and adds color to the room!

    Heading over to sis' blog now :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seriously - I think it looks AMAZING! I agree, though, that you definitely need some more accents. maybe a little yellow on the wall or something, but a big crisp white lamp shade sounds perfect. What other colors could you use? Maybe something like blue? Or... maybe... a couple pink flowers in a vase? I don't know... I'm horrible with trying to pair colors! ha ha ha - you know what I do for inspiration? I go look on HGTV websites and get some awesome rooms that I love and look at the colors they pair. Maybe that could help?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I stopped by your sis's blog and I introduced myself. I think I'll stay! Lol! I made myself at home and joined her follower list! :)

    Your rug is very cute! Looks so nice!
    The pix of you 3 is just gorgeous! :)
    Very nice ladies:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think the rug is cute! But go with your gut. If you love it, then keep it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I ADORE that rug! I don't think it's too funky at all! Then again, I am a bit obsessed with polka dots but the color is great :) What a fun accent to the room!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I once read that if you love every piece in your house, everything will go together without necessarily "going" together. That's what makes your home personally yours and not looking like it was just decorated by someone else. I say keep the rug :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE the rug! I think it would look amazing with a white coffee table on it! But I definitely think it is so cute & cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the rug, it gives the room some character! It looks great in there!! Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That rug is too fabulous. Glad to see you are keeping it. Such an amazing pop of color!

    ReplyDelete