Friday, February 5, 2010

Recipe Week – Chai Spiced Hot Chocolate

I know this recipe isn’t exactly Super Bowl related, but I can’t resist sharing it.  We’re supposed to get about two feet of snow this weekend!  Yes, I am VERY eager for sunshine and beach days, but the thought of a snowy weekend makes me pretty excited right now, too.  It’s so cozy!  We’re still having our Super Bowl party on Sunday – can’t wait to tell you about it!  In the mean time, we will be preparing for our shindig while simultaneously doing all of the cozy, warm things that being snowed-in calls for – movies, yummy food and hot chocolate.  Homemade Chai-Spiced Hot Chocolate, to be exact.  I am soooo going to try and tackle this.  Even just the smell of Chai makes my heart warm.

a1b

Ingredients: 4 cups low-fat  (1%) milk, 3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips, 10 cardamom pods – coarsely cracked, 1/2 t whole allspice – cracked, 2 cinnamon sticks – broken in half, 1/2 t freshly ground black pepper, 5 T packed golden brown sugar – divided, 6 quarter size slices of fresh ginger plus 1/2 t grated peeled fresh ginger, 1 t vanilla extract – divided, 1/2 cup chilled whipping cream.

Directions: To crack the spices, place in a resealable plastic bag and tap with a rolling pin.  Combine first 6 ingredients, 4 T brown sugar and ginger slices in medium saucepan.  Bring almost to a simmer, whisking frequently.  Remove from heat; cover and steep 10 minutes.  Min in 1/2 t vanilla. 

Meanwhile, whisk cream, remaining 1 T brown sugar, grated ginger, and remaining 1/2 t vanilla in medium bowl to peaks. 

Strain hot chocolate.  Ladle into mugs.  Top each with dollop of ginger cream and sprinkle cinnamon on top, or throw in a cinnamon stick for the ultimate gourmet treat.

Recipe compliments of Bon Appetit, Feb ‘10 issue.  LOVE this magazine.

I hope everyone has a WONDERFUL weekend! 

Have fun this Sunday watching the game!  I know Hubsy and I will be enjoying all of the delicious snackies the Super Bowl weekend provides.  YUMMMM.

Blessings/XOXO

9 comments:

  1. The snow is coming our way to. That sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!!! Thanks for sharing, this sounds really good right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky :)

    You get snow! aND! Chai tea!
    ...you seize to amaze me :)

    Have a GREAT WEEKEND***

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, so you have totally inspired me - I'm going to the grocery store to get ALL the ingredients to try all your recipes!!! So excited. Have a wonderful SNOWY Superbowl weekend beautiful girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am excited too about all the superbowl snacks. YUM The spread is better than Thanksgiving:) That Hot chocolate sounds so good too & with it being so cold here I could use a yummy warm drink.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this sounds so phenom. like I want a cup now. sigh* PS please come by my blog and enter my project on beautiful women :) I'd be honored to have you be a part!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. that looks sooo ridiculously good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope your Superbowl party was a huge hit - how could it not be with all the yummies you cooked up? I did make your gametime salsa and the awesome guacamole - sooo yum - and served them last night - you were right about how easy that salsa was! I have not yet tackled the chocolate silk pie or the chai tea - but they are both on my recipes to try list! Cardamom pods tho - not sure where I'll find those! Chai tea is one of my very favorite drinks! Enjoy the snow - or snow to come? You guys are having a REAL winter aren't you?

    ReplyDelete