Monday, August 31, 2009

Comfy Cozy

I can’t think of a better way to describe our weekend!  I had off work on Friday and was so excited to spend the wet and stormy day in the kitchen cooking and watching movies.  I set off to the grocery store in the morning with my menu in hand: homemade chili, garlic mashed potatoes and a gluten free vanilla cake.  My day consisted of chopping, stirring, mashing, baking and watching movie after movie.  It was heavenly!  And the chili was DELISH!!  I  was so pleased with how everything turned out, and I think Hubsy was just as excited to spend our evening chowing down on comfort food as I was.  I love that he loves to eat whatever I cook.  I am by no means a great chef, but I sure do love trying!  We nestled ourselves onto the couch and spent the night watching Australia, drinking vino and munching endlessly.  It was coziness at its finest!

Chili:

DSC04036

I chopped up a whole white onion and browned it in a pan with a little bit of ground beef (I like to use the juices from a little bit of the ground beef to brown the onion instead of oil).  Normally I would use ground turkey, but I wanted to make a hearty, true Southern chili.  The ground beef was the perfect ingredient!

DSC04039

Next I added the rest of the ground beef, tomato sauce, a can of salsa, a can of dark red kidney beans and a can of light red kidney beans, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper – and pretty much anything else that came to mind. I kept adding more chili powder and cumin until I thought it was the perfect spicy-ness.  Then I turned the burner to low and let the chili simmer for about an hour.

Garlic Mashed Potatoes:

DSC04038

I peeled four russet potatoes, chopped them and put them in a pan of boiling water.  I let them boil for about twenty minutes until the potatoes were soft but still a little firm.

DSC04043

Next I added Smart Balance butter, low fat cream cheese, a little bit of parmesan cheese, salt, and roasted garlic I had just baked in the oven.  I used a whole clove of garlic that I peeled and chopped the ends off of, then I wrapped the garlic in aluminum foil and baked it at 375F for about 25 minutes.  Mmmmm, the smell was heavenly.  I mashed the garlic and the potatoes until the consistency was just right.  I had never made home made mashed potatoes before!  Hubsy said he liked them, and I believed him.  :o)

Cake, Betty Crocker Style:

DSC04042

Originally I wanted to make a homemade gluten free cake, but when I heard Ms. Betty Crocker came out with a new line of gluten free products, I had to try her vanilla cake mix.  I thought it was pretty good!  I frosted it with a butter cream chocolate icing.  I definitely think it tastes much yummier to those of us who are missing out on gluten!  Hubsy was a really good sport and enjoyed the cake with me, but I know he would prefer the “real” stuff next time.  Over all, dinner was a success!  And the chili and mashed potatoes were even yummier the next day.  Mmmm, I love comfort food.

DSC04073

Storm rolling in!

Last night Hubsy was out in the back grilling when he yelled for me to come quickly look at the sky. I couldn’t believe what I saw!  I grabbed my camera and snapped away.  The photos below contain ZERO photo editing.  The colors were this vibrant and BEAUTIFUL!

DSC04080

 DSC04081

DSC04082

And if that sky wasn’t a more perfect ending to a cozy, rainy weekend guess what movie was on TV last night.  It featured Ms. Allie and Mr. Noah.

DSC04078

Le sigh.  Perfect.

I hope you all had a fabulous weekend!  I’m off to NYC tomorrow for work and am so excited.  I’ll be back soon!  Enjoy your week – only a few more days until Labor Day weekend! YAYYYYYYY!!

Blessings/XOXO

24 comments:

  1. Sounds like a PERFECT weekend! I did much of the same, minus the awesome meal you cooked.. because I can't cook that great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything sounded wonderful. Have an awesome time in NYC. How fun. Beautiful pictures of the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Def sounds like perfection!! Nothing is better than some comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, that sounds so good! Thanks for sharing. I need a good easy chili recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhh that sounded wonderful! And that is exactly how I make my chili too=) All of it sounded yuuuumy! Have a fun, safe trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - I already feel relaxed! ha ha Glad you had a great and restful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend! Thanks for sharing your recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i swear, sometimes i would so much rather stay in and cook some food and cuddle up than go out! i really think im going to try this recipe - i'm looking for some nice new dishes to try for fall & i think this one fits the bill!

    thanks for sharing
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds like a great and YUMMIE weekend! :) I watched lots of the Notebook this weekend..LOVE IT!

    SO jealous you are going to NYC. I wish I was going tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is the best kind of weekend!! That food looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love weekends like that:-) Those potatoes sound absolutely delicious! Oh, and The Notebook is my favorite movie of all time. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your food looks wonderful. I always do my garlic the same way when making mashed potatoes. I've never tried it with cream cheese though, but it sounds yummy. I usually mix whipping cream in mine, but I'll have to try the cram cheese next time.

    Your weekend sounds perfect.

    I love watching movie after movie and eating comfort food too. And my hubby is pretty good at eating whatever I make, as long as it doesn't have lettuce in it.

    Have fun in NYC

    ReplyDelete
  13. Big Hi from DJ! Thank you so much for fab comments at mine, your a doll!

    I just love your site, Tucker is so gorgeous. Uh huh I've been checkin' previous posts :)

    Your dress in one of your honeymoon shots is the best, pink paisley I think. Love it, you look great.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have an award on my blog!! Give me a few and it will be up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lil' "Miss Betty Crocker" herself! Wow!
    And I see you watched my favorite movie of all times...Notebook. big sigh.........
    Have a safe trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds like you had a perfect day! Before everything happened I spent many days doing just what you did, watching movies and cooking away. I used to love days like that.

    I'm going to have to try the cake. Good for you for trying to be even more healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just found your blog and it is so cute! That sounds like a fabulous weekend, and the food all looks great. I had no idea they had gluten-free cake mixes--have to check that out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It sounds like such a wonderful and relaxing weekend. I look forward to times like that! The chili you made looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Notebook has been on TV a lot lately...and I have been watching it every time! My husband is getting so sick of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds so yummy! I can't think of a better rainy day plan than cooking up yummy comfort food!! I haven't seen Australia...how was it??

    Hope this week goes well for you. Is it all work? Do you get to play a little too??

    ReplyDelete
  21. sounds like you had a great weekend and that chili looks yummy!!! = )

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like such a yummy dinner and the perfect rainy day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I cannot wait to make chili! That sounds like the perfect weekend. And those pictures are absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mmmm I need to try making my own chili. And those pictures of the pink sky are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete