Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A tisket, a tasket…

…a green and yellow basket.  That nursery rhyme was on repeat in my head over the weekend!  I just got back from our fabulous, girls-only, Maine-cation with my mom and sisters.  What a WONDERFUL time!  The memories we made will be held in my heart forever.  My grandmother takes a basket weaving class every summer at the Abbe Museum in Bar Harbor that is taught by a member of the Passamaquoddy tribe in Maine.  This year my mom, sisters and I did it with her.  It was so funny, we kept giggling at the fact that we were sitting around making baskets, but it was so much fun!  The whole experience was truly amazing.  Our teacher was Eric “Otter” and he was a riot.  It was so neat learning about their traditions and seeing his expertise in basket weaving come to life.  We had so much fun and were able to create some amazing little baskets that were made out of Ash (tree) and sweet grass.  Here are a few pictures I snapped of the process!

DSC04018

DSC04017

DSC04021 Creating the bottom side of the basket.DSC04020DSC04022DSC04024

A picture of my braided sweet grass. 

PS. Dig the purple nail polish? I wanted something different & am love’n it!

DSC04026

  DSC04027

The bottom of my basket!  Ash and braided sweet grass.

Okay, so this is lame, but I actually don’t have a picture of my finished basket yet.  We ran out of time and there is a piece missing on my lid, so AS SOON as I finish it I will post a picture.  I’m excited to show you my finished little beauty!

After our class Friday evening, we went back to my Mimi’s house and came home to this…

DSC04028…a massage table set up and a masseuse ready to give us ALL massages!  Ohhh my goodness, it was heavenly.  What an awesome gift my grandmother gave us!  We sipped wine when it wasn’t our turn and shared stories.  It was girl time at its finest!

On Saturday we went back to our class hoping to finish things.  Afterwards, we went back to the house and found THIS…

DSC04029 A 2 pound lobster waiting for each of us.  YUMMMMMMY!

maine5

It truly was such a memorable vacation.  I am SO blessed to have such an amazing family and feel incredibly thankful for the time we spent together.  What amazing women I have in my life!  Blessings all around me. 

As much fun as it was being gone, it is so nice being back home with hubsy and little T-dog.  I came home to steaks on the grill and a fresh fruit salad, made by the hubster himself!  It had every type of fruit you can imagine; I was so impressed.  Every time I’m away from my little family I am reminded of the song that my hubby and I danced to at our wedding, “Home” by Michael Buble.  WHICH, by the way, only a few more days until we’re in September, our wedding month!  Eeeek!  That means I have every excuse in the book to talk non stop about our wedding.  Haha, woo hoo!  Can’t wait to start those posts.  :o)

OH, and guess who is now going gluten free?  I’m in the process of trying to develop some super yummy recipes that TASTE like they are normal, ie. contain gluten.  It’s a fun challenge!  Definitely more on this to come.

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend!  I am excited to get caught up on your writings.  Happy Tuesday!

Blessings/XOXO

 

24 comments:

  1. Looks like a great time. Making a basket sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow - I'm SO jealous of your Maine-cation. I want one!! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun trip! Love the nail polish and so wish I could have a massage! Can't wait to see that finished basket too! How neat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like such a relaxing, amazing time! Your husband was so sweet to have steak and fruit salad ready for when you got home!! And "Home" is one of my FAVORITE songs. I LOVE Michael Buble

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a blast!!! Mmm the lobster looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my gosh that sounded like an incredible trip! that is so cute that you all made baskets together! oh i need to e-mail you about fun places to go in your state, we're thinking about taking a little fam vaca=)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So so fun! Love your basket, I am so impressed. And how nice to have had a massage AND lobster? Love it! Can I please be a part of your family??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pasama-whatsy? ;) I think of "Pete's Dragon" every time I hear that word.

    Sounds like a dream trip! Lobster, massages...ahhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a fun time with family. Your basket turned out great. I need to get myself out of the house and take some fun classes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok, so you have to stop with all these Maine posts...I SO want to go now!! :)

    Can't wait to see your finished pretty basket.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks and sounds like you had a great girls trip. I love those types of things. I bet the massage was just awesome...how nice of your Grandma to plan that for all of you.

    Will you let me know if you find any good receipes without gluten in them. I've been wondering about that myself. I would love to try something if you think it is yummy.

    Oh by the way my mom and I made the granola the other day. It was so so yummy!!! I've had it just as a snack, in yougurt and with a bowl of milk in the morning. It's seriously the best granola I have ever eaten. Thanks so much for sharing that with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your trip looks amazing!! Massages and lobster...what could be better??

    Sorry to hear about your gluten allergy! Hope you can find some yummy recipes that work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks like so much fun!! Those lobsters were some biggins'!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh, what a fun trip! Those lobsters look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow LOVIE! Sounds incredible! I can't wait for our MAINECATION one day! Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE Maine & Bar Harbor!! I want to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an amazing time!! Massage tables and Lobster - HEAVEN!! :)

    Thank you so much for the sweet comment!! I got the cake pop recipe off of Bakerella's Site and I'm going to do a post about it! :) AND.. even more exciting news for you my foodie bff, MJ had celiac's (I mention her in my blog sometimes - she doesn't have one but she always reads mine - love her!) and we are always working on delish food for her that is gluten free.

    I'm planning to use the new Betty Crocker gluten free cake mix to make the cake pops for her - it's really good. Send me an email if you get a moment and we can go into more gluten free goodness!! lisloves@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aw, how fun!! You totally made me miss home w/ all the maine stuff!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey doll! I got that dress from Forever21 online a couple months ago for about $20!!! Can't go wrong with F21!

    http://www.forever21.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=FOREVER21&category%5Fname=dress&product%5Fid=2063528640&Page=6

    ReplyDelete
  20. What fun!!!!!!!!!
    I love spending time with my Mommy nad my dear sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for entering my contest...and I would love to chat about early stages of starting a business...I am still learning a whole bunch...but it is fun to talk with other creative women! email me geezees@gmail . com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Basket making is fun. I haven't done it in years but it is really fun.

    Just checking in with everyone and to give an update.
    I have a new party starting- Wed Sept 2. So each week I will have the Knock Off Knock Out party on Mondays and the Holiday/Seasonal party on Wed. I hope you come for a visit.
    New buttons to grab as well.
    Cheri
    Its So Very Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my gosh this sounds like soooo much fun!! And I have never seen a lobster that big in my entire life!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh what an absolutely fantastic basketweaving experience you had with your best girls! Isn't it great weaving with the black ash and making the little sweetgrass braids to weave in as accents? Maine is a state I've not yet been to, but it's on my radar screen, hope to get there within a couple years. Glad you had such a great time, was that your first basketweaving experience? Take a look at my antler baskets and maybe you can take one of my classes sometime, too! Happy Weaving!

    The Wicker Woman-Cathryn Peters
    http://wickerwoman.blogspot.com
    http://www.WickerWoman.com/antler-baskets

    ReplyDelete