Monday, January 11, 2010

Weeeeeeekend Fantastic-ness

So, here’s the scoop.  I have a TON of pictures on my camera from our fabulous, full day of Sunday cooking, BUT, I don’t have my camera with me.  Boo.  Below are short-version recipes.  Tomorrow (or Wednesday or Thursday, let’s be honest) I’ll come back and re-post more specific recipes with the pictures I took.  Sound good?  Awesome.  Double the fun.  :o) 

Behold my rather lengthy post recapping our weekend sans pics…

What a fabulous weekend!  I feel refreshed and invigorated, le BEST feeling in the world.

Friday night hubby and I picked up some Thai food and went home to eat, sip wine and watch Julie and Julia.  HEAVEN.  The fact that my Hubster wanted to watch it with me meant the WORLD.  I kept looking over at him saying, “Ohhh I’m going to make that.  Oh, let’s make THAT!”  Beef Bourguignon?  I am FOR SURE attempting to tackle this some day.  My mom and I have a French/Julie and Julia date night coming up soon.  On the agenda: drink lots of French wine, make tasty French food and watch, of course, Julie and Julia.  My mom is pretty much the greatest chef I have ever known, so I am super excited to see what will be on our menu for the night.  Will DEFINITELY post tons of pics from our evening, but it’s still a few weeks out.  More on that later!

Saturday morning Hubby and I went and played racquetball.  Ohhhhh yes, racquetball.  I used to play a lot in college and have been dying to start up again, so Saturday was the day!  It was so much fun.  Hubby was nice enough to not hit the ball as hard as I know he wanted to, I get SO SCARED when that ball ricochets off the wall at what seems 100mph.  After we were finished, I officially had four new bruises adorning my body – I was a diving MACHINE!  SO.MUCH.FUN.  And a little painful the next day.  My muscles are STILL feeling the heat.

Saturday night we had a date night with some fabulous friends.  We went and had margaritas, FRIED AVOCADO (Seriously?  Fried avocado stuffed with ground beef and cheese?  YES, PLEASE.), tamales, enchiladas and tacos.  Oh my goodness….HEAVEN.  After we were finished gorging ourselves, everyone was ready to go bowling when I realized I didn’t have any socks with me.  Socks with stilettos aren’t exactly my thing.  So instead, we went back to our house and did what anyone in our situation would do – go bowling via Wii. I can’t remember the last time we’ve had ppl over just to play Wii.  It was a blast!  And not to toot our own horns or anything, but hubby-licious and I pretty much OWNED guitar hero afterwards.  Thankyouverymuch. 

Sunday we went to church, drank coffee and mingled with fabulous friends, received our packets for Sunday School this year (We’re on the rotating teacher’s list! So excited to serve.) and then went home to C.O.O.K.  It was a full day in the kitchen!  We had movies going non-stop on the TV (with sporadic intervals of football for Hubs) and just kept on cooking one thing after another.  On the menu?

MckMama's corn and bean salad

*  Breakfast muffins inspired by the fabulous Ms. Quite Contrary.  Best idea ever!  I wanted to make a whole batch for Hubs to have this week.  He has to get up sometimes at the crack of dawn, so for him to have something already made and in the fridge to grab and re-heat is the greatest thing ever.  I texted him this morning to see how they turned out and he said they were DELISH!  SCORE!  Just use egg beaters, ground sausage sautéed with onion and garlic (and peppers if you wish), and cheese – put them in cupcake/muffin pans, bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes and VOILA!  Done and done.

*  Collard greens.  Yes, I am on a mission to learn and master the art of collard greens.  It takes almost all day for the recipes I’ve been trying so yesterday was perfect.  The results?  Pretty good, but I’m not there yet.  Any recipes I should try?

*  Stuffed peppers with quinoa sautéed with onions, garlic and fresh spinach.  Baked at 350 for 20 minutes.  I made a bunch of these to take into work this week.  The quinoa ended up tasting soooo YUMMY!  Pretty excited about these.  Did you know there is a wrong and right way to cook quinoa?  I sure didn’t and now that I do, the results when doing it right are SIGNIFICANTLY different.

*  Lastly, we (Hubby) made Tuna on the grill for dinner.  AHHHHHHH!  My mouth is watering just thinking about it!  Usually we would pan sear it, but Hubs put them on the grill for about 2 minutes on each side and the results were PERFECT.  Perfect, perfect, perfect.  Sushi grade on the inside, grilled on the outside.  Now I want tuna again tonight for dinner.

What a fun-filled weekend!  I woke up this morning smiling.  It was fab.  :o)  Busy week again!  We have a lot going on this week and then on Friday my lovie, Christine, is coming into town to visit.  I am super excited!  I hope everyone has a great start to their week!

Happy Monday!

Blessings/XOXO

20 comments:

  1. So glad you had a great weekend! Love that you played raquetball! Garth and I used to play when we were dating, such a fun game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came across your blog and thought I would say hello. I haven't seen the movie Julie & Julia yet...I was gonna rent it on New Years Eve but changed my mind and grabbed The Proposal instead...get movie by the way if you haven't seen it!

    Drop by and say hello some time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason I am starving? hummm....seriously, that sounds like one great weekend! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds yummy!! I now hungry too!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a heaven-ly weekend.

    Yummy food and great people! :)

    I just ate lunch-
    .......hungry. again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great weekend! the quinoa thing sounds amazing! glad hubs loved the egg muffins...and they are healthy : ) yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fab weekend! Racquetball huh...that will definitely work some muscles! I played in college and would love to start playing again if only a court was nearby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum! I want tuna now for dinner too! sounds like a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stuffed peppers are going on my dinner menu THIS WEEK thanks to this post...mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love anything with avocados..yum. Sounds like a delicious weekend for sure. I still want to see that movie Julie & Julia.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Julie and Julia was a great movie! All your recipies sound lovely!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Fried avacodos!
    I have only had them once from Los Cabos.
    Oh so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you had a great weekend. It sounds like you have been having lots of those. I think that is great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I left you a suprise on my blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. glad you had such a great weekend hun!! :)
    you have been keeping busy!! off to check out those breakast muffins, i love breakfast foods.
    and fried avacodoes, yum! i've never heard of such a thing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are always welcome to post my stuff. I just ask that people do a link.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a fantastic time of COOKING!!! We went to your parents house last night for dinner- it was TOO FUN! Your mom is an A-mazing cook! She made PHO- never had it before but we LOVED IT! WE missed not seeing you there! It was so fun catching up with your sister- and we've decided we all need to do a girls trip to Boston with our wonderful Moms!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This post is making me hungry! :) Glad you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete