Friday, January 8, 2010

Mrs. Know it all

Have you heard this one?

While waiting for her flight to depart, a woman purchased a book to read and a bag of cookies to munch on. Losing herself in her book she noticed a man sitting next to her eating a cookie from the bag between them. It was a bold move on his part, she thought, since SHE had purchased the bag of cookies. Just who does he think he is?

The cookie thief continued to take one cookie after another from the bag, and so did she, becoming more and more irritated. What nerve this man has, she thought to herself. Each time she took a cookie, he took one, too, down to the last one. He was considerate though, offering her half of HER last cookie. That was it. She got up irritated beyond belief and stormed off for the line to board her plane.

When she finally reached her seat, she reached in her bag and found a surprise -- her bag of cookies. The man whose cookies SHE was actually snatching had been so gracious through the ordeal, sharing every one of his cookies with her, down to even splitting the last one. She sat there, numb, realizing what she had done. It was too late for her to even apologize.

I can’t even fathom the amount of times I have been SO sure that I am right.  I know this story has been around for a while, but I only first read it the other day and it really struck a cord with me.  How would I react in a situation like this?  I don’t even think I would stay there long enough to have a stranger keep putting his hands all over my cookies!  I am often so quick to think and react.  How often am I really ‘eating someone else’s cookies’?  On so many levels – patience, grace, mercy, pride – I need HELP.  I know I am often a cookie snatcher.  A ‘Mrs. Know it all’.

Hubby and I have a fun, relaxing weekend ahead and I am STOKED.  Through it all, our every day shenanigans, I want to be mindful of my ‘know it all’ attitude. I bet it gets pretty tiring.  I am a work in progress.  And I PRAISE GOD that He never gives up on me.  YAY GRACE!

Happy Friday, B-LOVES!!  Any fun plans ahead?

Blessings/XOXO

(source)

PS. LOVED your book suggestions!  Thank you SO much for sharing!

17 comments:

  1. thanks so much for sharing that. I had never read it before ... but it's a great way to start off all of our mornings! His Grace and mercy reminding us of the unfathomable Grace of God!

    Cathy B
    projecthope7 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a graet story! What glorious grace God pours out over all of us each & every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I SOOO needed to read this today!!! Thanks for posting such an awesome blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. Thanks for the story. I need a reminder every now and then.

    Happy Weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the cookie snatcher too. Darn it. I hate that about me. thanks for sharing and you are so right. Thank God He is beyond patient with me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love this...thanks!! have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great story! I have never heard it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never heard of that before...
    I was getting upset with that man. Wondering WTH (heck)??????

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard that....

    Enjoy your relaxing weekend :)

    Thanks for my sweet comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a great story and I loved reading it. Thank you for sharing :) and hope your new year was fabulous girlfriend!! I switched my blog so I hope you will come over and visit!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this story! Thanks so much for sharing! :)
    Okay- about Paul Miller- I LOVE his book A Praying Life. I know you just got LOTS of good recommendations on what to read next but I really think you should read this at some point. I have been in the middle of it for way too long b/c like you I read 3 books at a time. OOPS. But I hope you guys get to hear him speak at your church- that would be awesome. Hope you're well sweet girl! BIG HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love this! I'd never read it before. Thank you so much for sharing, it's such a great reminder! Enjoy your weekend, love. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for this post...just what I needed to hear today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this story and have definitely been in situations like this! I left something for you on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh gosh, I am so sure I have been guilty of being a Mrs. Know It All! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete