Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Good reads.

Thank you so much for your sweet comments on my outfit for NYE!  For those who asked, my top is by Free People and I got it at Nordstrom.  :o)

I just finished The Pillars of the Earth last night. 

SUCH a great book!  I love the feeling after I finish a book that has captivated my heart and brain, but it’s also a tad sad, because I wonder if the next book I read will be able to meet the new bar that has been set.  I find it pretty frustrating when I have spent time reading a book that just didn’t “do it” for me.  I really don’t have as much time as I would like these days to read, so it’s always a big decision when I decide what to occupy my precious free time with next.  SO, the big question looming in my head right now is….what lucky book will have the privilege of joining my collection next?  First, I need to point out that for every fictional book that I read I have about three non-fictional books that I rotate with.  I really wish I didn’t do this, it gets a little overwhelming, but I can’t help myself – so, I have accepted the fact that my nightstand will pretty much always hold 4-5 books that I am “currently” reading at any given time.  Perhaps this is why I don’t get through books quickly!  So really, my “what’s next?” debate, for now, is primarily for fictional reads.  I am pretty sure my Hubby will read this and crack up at the fact that most of my reading is done in the bathtub before bed.  I don’t think guys will ever really understand just how RELAXING it is to read in the ‘tub! The worries of the world just melt away… ~ Hubby, thank u for allowing me to have ‘tub time.  :o)

While pursuing my “what’s next?” options, I stumbled upon the website Goodreads.  Have you heard of it?  Taken from their website, Goodreads is….

…a free website for book lovers. Imagine it as a large library that you can wander through and see everyone's bookshelves, their reviews, and their ratings. You can also post your own reviews and catalog what you have read, are currently reading, and plan to read in the future. Don’t stop there – join a discussion group, start a book club, contact an author, and even post your own writing.

If you are a member or decide to join, please let me know so I can keep up with your picks!  I am a huge fan of the word-of-mouth method when it comes to choosing my next read.  Before I go any further and decide what to read next, here is a look at a few books I have read this past year (and a few from before):

The Pillars of the Earth

book7

Three Cups of Tea

book

Eat Pray Love

book3

The Shack

book4

Shadow of the Wind

book2

More books out of the Kristin Billerbeck series – I am OBSESSED.  These are my “beach reads”.  Imagine Andrea Sachs from The Devil Wears Prada as a Christian girl trying to make it big while keeping her Faith in tact – with Prada handbag in tow, of course. 

book6

And I always, ALWAYS go back to Redeeming Love. No matter how many times I read it, it’s still like the first time.  Sigh. 

book5

So what’s next?!  I would love your help!  Here are a few I have been thinking about…

~

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

The Poisonwood Bible

Confessions of a Counterfeit Farm Girl

Lovely Bones (I can’t bring myself to read this!  I feel like I will cry the whole time!)

Water for Elephants

~

Do you have any recommendations?  Have you read a book recently that you just couldn’t put down?

My nightstand is eager to make a new friend!

HAPPY WEDNESDSAY!

Blessings/XOXO

19 comments:

  1. I love love LOVE Goodreads! I discovered it last year sometime, and it has been so great in helping me not only keep track of what I've read, but find awesome new recommendations ALL the time. (In fact, I've probably bought like, 20 books in the last few months, so at the rate I'm buying vs. reading them, I'll NEVER be done. And I like it.) Anyway, here's my goodreads page if you want to add me! http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2640322

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I'm right there with ya on reading multiple books all at once. Sometimes I'm in the mood for different things... And tub reading = BEST EVER.

    AND: I recommend a book called The Wednesday Letters. It's incredibly sweet, and a fairly quick read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow girl! Those look like some great books! I used to read a lot, but after reading medical charts all day...I can barely read anything. {haha} Hope your having a great day! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED Pillars of the Earth! Such a great book! There is also a sequel book, A World Without End, that takes place about 200 years later. Some people didn't seem to like it as much as the first, but I really enjoyed it.

    Our book club read Water for Elephants last year and it was so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks! If you're a crybaby then keep the kleenexes handy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved "Redeeming Love"! Such a great book! I'll have to check out those other ones, thanks for sharing friend!=)

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for the suggestions! Im always looking for great new reads!
    I love Tori Spellings books! I love how she tells it like it is and does not sugar coat anything!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a Girl Wants sounds like a great book. I need to get my hands on that one. I've heard such good things about Redeeming Love as well. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your so adorable-muffin-face!

    I can't read-in-the-tub-whole-thing:
    The water gets too cold for me..way toooooo fast! Brrrrrrrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always have 4 or 5 books on my nightstand, too...I can't read just one book at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i really need to get to reading again. i've taken about a month off and i miss it. i might have to check out some of these! thanks for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I was more of a reader and had more time for books...but when I hit the bed I am so tired my eyes can't focus. That Eat Pray Love book looks great. I may have to read that one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Next on my list is The Last Song, by Nicholas Sparks- the hubs got it for me for Christmas. I also plan on reading Dear John, also by Sparks. I saw a preview for the movie based on Dear John so I want to make sure and read it before I see it in theatre :) I LOOOVE his books!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm such a big reader, and go through at least a book a week, if I can. I like to read more though!! lol. I've read Confessions of a Counterfeit Farmgirl, and wasn't a huge fan, really. It was like she was trying TOO hard to be funny, and the whole book had footnotes of "jokes" throughout it, which I wasn't a big fan of. I liked Poisonwood Bible though--read it when it first came out, about 8 years ago now!

    And your new years pictures are so gorgeous!! You and your hubby just couldn't be cuter--that's what I want one day!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a running list on my blog about books but I love anything by Meg Cabot and I just read My Sister's Keeper and it was amazing!!! BUT, the movie was pretty bad... there's just so much detail and background in the book it would be impossible to fit it into an hour and a half long movie.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE Redeeming Love. Absolute favorite! I read Water for Elephants and really liked it too. It was slow at the beginning, but turned out to be pretty good!! I'm reading "29 Gifts: How a season of Giving can Change your life" by Cami Walker. It's really good so far!


    Cant wait to check out some on your list

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, Oh, Oh! SOOOOO excited that you put literally MY favorite book Redeeming Love! Mine is tattered from re-reading it and loaning it out to everyone who has not read it yet. And Ashley Stockingdale and I are practically related because we think and talk the same. I have re-read those 3 books a gazillion times too and sadly I don't just do it at the beach! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a sweet comment. Yours is adorable as you and hubby are too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just stumbled upon your blog & think it's really cute! I read The Lovely Bones years ago and while there is no denying that it's sad, it was really really good. I know I'll cry through the movie, but will probably rent it. (I'm not pretty when I cry so I will not be going to a theater!) I'm excited to read the Ashley Stockingdale books and a couple others on your list! Thanks for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete